Books to help with food addiction

What other books or texts did you find useful in developing your understanding?
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Courtney
Community Member

Books to help with food addiction

Post by Courtney » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:22 pm

I thought I'd share an author whose books helped me years ago when I was struggling with a great deal of food addiction. Personally in my life I had severe binge-eating disorder for most of it, and then also had a short period in high school where I was diagnosed with anorexia. I couldn't afford therapy or eating disorder rehab (the latter of which I'm actually glad I didn't have access to due to practices there that I think are pretty damaging), so I started looking for books.

I came across a number of the author Geneen Roth's books, and they were the first ones for me that introduced the idea that I was eating to avoid emotions, and that the solution was going to be looking at why I was eating the way I was, what I was trying to cover up and suppress emotionally, and that I'd have to actually feel all that stuff in order to change the behavior. I have thus far not found any other authors (other than Jesus and Mary of course!) who are able to articulate and piece out the topic of food addiction like her. She discusses a lot about the role food has taken in our lives, where these behaviors were created in our childhood, and her books have great journaling exercises in them to prompt reflection.

As with most books, some of her conclusions are not in alignment with Divine Truth and I personally disagree with, for example, she concludes that we also need to allow all food (whether that's meat, or dairy, or sugar, etc.). She also retains a few recommendations that would not be needed had we worked through all our emotions about food (ie. always have food with you wherever you go). But other than that, I think her books have far more content that is truthful and helpful than what would need to be left out because it isn't in alignment with truth.

I think even if someone has not struggled with severe food addiction and eating disorders as I have, it could still be helpful for addressing what's left of addictive behavior with food, whether that be just a little in excess at times, or an addiction to chocolate, sugar, coffee, meat, dairy, eggs, etc.

She has written a lot of books, but the ones I've personally read are:

When Food is Love
Breaking Free of Compulsive Eating
Lost and Found
Women, Food and God (honestly probably helpful for women and men)

Happy reading!

Courtney

Maxine
Community Member

Re: Books to help with food addiction

Post by Maxine » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:04 pm

Hi,

What would be the first one to read do you think? Your favourite?

Are you writing a book on this subject? :)

Maxine

Courtney
Community Member

Re: Books to help with food addiction

Post by Courtney » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:06 pm

Maybe the first one listed! Yeah I'm writing one. :)

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable