Vegan Blog & Moving Towards Veganism

Vegan recipes, meals, DT related Vegan discussions all found here!
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
LisaQ
Community Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Vegan Blog & Moving Towards Veganism

Post by LisaQ » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:37 pm

http://www.veganricha.com/2012/01/our-v ... -faqs.html

I have been struggling with giving up dairy and eggs for about a year. I've reduced my amount of consumption, but still can't seem to fully make the shift. As my LoA would have it, I stumbled upon this blog this morning, which has helped me take another step towards veganism. The link that shows the fur trade in China was incredibly painful to watch and connect with. I'm currently working up the courage to watch "Earthlings", since I feel it may put me over the edge on this issue.

I'm trying to keep in mind balancing out digestive/worth issues with making this change, realizing that there may be a gradual process at work here.

I hope this link may help others.

Lisa

Anita
Community Member

Re: Vegan Blog & Moving Towards Veganism

Post by Anita » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:22 pm

Hi Liza,

I have watched Earthlings, it took me 3-4 hours, with many pauses to feel my emotions. I highly recommend it!

I have had a hard time giving up dairy completely. But these last 6 months when I have tried to have some I just don't like the taste of it anymore. The same thing as when I noticed many years ago that my body did not want to ingest alcohol anymore.

The thing is when does one stop to watch films like this? Do I have to watch until I don't cry anymore? If I force myself to watch it feels it is unloving. A couple of years ago I forced my son to watch Earthlings because I didn't want to cook meat for him anymore. That was unloving. He watched half of it then he just turned around and fell asleep. This last week I have experienced a change in myself and son enjoyed eating both lentils and beans, which he previously has refused to eat.

Once when I watched cruelty to animals in a slaughter house I experienced slight sexual arousal. I related to the innocent animal being totally at the mercy of the abuser, I was once a small child totally in the hands of my abuser. I have accepted these feelings and I know there is more from where that came, I did not put them there myself but they are there.

Cheers
Anita
Anita Tännström

LisaQ
Community Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Vegan Blog & Moving Towards Veganism

Post by LisaQ » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:47 am

Thanks, Anita. That is helpful to hear your journey. I still cringe thinking about watching Earthlings, but know that there will likely come a time when it will happen.
It was funny, today I was eating cheese and finding that I felt about the animals that had been sacrificed and ill treated to get me the cheese, and I noticed that the cheese actually wasn't tasting that good to me. I still ate it; but I am having more awareness and less interest in it.

I think another belief I really struggle with is that I'll get weakened and sickly if I stop altogether eating any animal protein. It took a lot to go off of meat a year and a half ago, so the dairy/eggs eating is linked to a belief that it makes me strong physically.
Also, from Arvana's letter of Veganism with Poor Digestion (written by Jesus), I'm aware that I've struggled with poor digestion much of my adult life, and it has been showing marked improvement, but I know I still have worth issues and deep fear of how others view me, so this could be limiting my success on a vegan diet at present.

I'm going to keep feeling/connecting to myself as I eat different foods, as well as continue to watch/educate myself about animal treatment.
I trust I'll end up vegan eventually.

Thanks for the reminder about the joy of lentils and legumes! Happy to hear of you and your son enjoying these. =)

Lisa